The current photograph shows the Champlain Mills on the Winooski River about 75 years later. There is a small park with grass and trees along the bank of the river. A new bridge has been constructed. The bottom floors of the old, woolen mill and its cement foundation are visible. Liz Anderson, a student at Mount Mansfield Union High School, wrote the following commentary on the photographs. The flood of 1927 came through Winooski, VT and drastically changed the landscape that was previously found along the Winooski River banks. The high waters took out the main bridge that connected Winooski with Burlington. The houses were filled with water and the mills along the river were destroyed due to the raging river in the first and second floors. The demolished area around the Winooski River was in need of some great repair after the flood. The bridge had to be rebuilt, and it had to be made stronger and larger. The bridge that replaced the destroyed one was larger, safer, and more likely to withstand the force of another flood. Due to the massive size of the bridge, homes that were previously occupied had to be evacuated and taken down. The road that connects Winooski and Burlington over the bridge was widened with the bridge and also took the place of old homes. The banks of the river were built up, so that the surrounding land could be prevented from being harmed by raging rivers again. A park was put in place of the homes and the saturated land, so no more buildings would be destroyed due to water. The river is now controlled by dams, both above and below the Winooski Bridge, in order to make energy and control the water levels. That flood event has taught people the risk of building on and near river banks.