Exterior photo of the second synagogue established in Burlington, by a group of congregants from Ohavi Zedek who were unhappy with the decisions being made by the governing board of trustees of that synagogue. Located in the middle of a residential block, just down the street from the other synagogue, this photo depicts the architecture of the times, with continuing resemblance to other religious house of worship in New England. The building was renovated and remodeled in 1918, when the front porch and structure seen on the right side of the photo was added. The main entrance was located here. The original Synagogue was built to include the hexagonal sanctuary located on the eastern section of the structure, which housed the torah scrolls. The most elaborate windows are visible in this area of the building, including a sharply pointed roof accenting the circular Star of David window. Seven of the original ornate windows are visible in this image.
The west side of the synagogue is where the addition was completed in 1918.
These windows number eight, and are rectangle in structure. As the size of this congregation grew, this addition was needed.
The synagogue was encompassed by a netted metal fence. Snow indicates the season to be winter. There is a snow-covered road in the foreground and a sidewalk. Utility lines in the foreground.