You searched for: all images in the database. Here are the results:
Farmhouse and barns
- 1890 - 1950
- The historic image shows a broad meadow (part of which has been recently mowed) with three barns and large, white house. The barns have wooden fences around them. There are very well maintained, stonewalls along the edge of the field. There are utility poles and lines along the road. This is summer. Image is labeled "J.M. Power's, Athens, Vt." Esther Munroe Swift writes on 2004-12-25: Hamilton Child's Gazetteer & Business Dirctory, c.1884 lists Jerry M. Powers on road 15 and enumerates his many activities: town representative, town treasurer, lister, scythe & snath manufacturer, teacher in public school for 15 years, sugar orchard of 150 trees, 20 sheep and farmer of 110 acres. Following his entry is a separate one for his wife (first time I have ever seen this done). Says she has taught school for 34 terms in Windham and Windsor counties.
- 1980 x 1416 pixels; 353354 bytes
- Original Filename:
- 291ATHENS 1.JPG
- Agriculture; Earth Materials; Barns; Boulders; Buildings; Culture; Deciduous; Dwellings; Farm buildings; Forests and Plants; Geology; Grassland plants; Hills; Human Constructs; Landforms; Landscapes; Living Things; Nature; Pasture plants; Pastures; Plants; Roads; Rural; Rural roads; Season; Sediments (Geology); Stone walls; Stone walls and Fences; Summer; Time; Trees; Wooden-frame buildings; Open_fields
- Special Collections, Bailey/Howe Library, University of Vermont
- Submitted By:
- Submitted On:
- Original Media:
- Relative Dating Rationale:
- Utility lines. Powers was listed in the 1882 Gazetteer - he would not likely be alive anymore by 1950.
- Times viewed: